It’s the day of the big race and you’ve come prepared, but the weather has turned ugly. You need to make sure all the Zone4 equipment is working properly despite the rain. Thankfully we’ve got you covered with our Wet Weather Kit– all you need to bring is a drill.
A wet weather kit is used to attach the timing loop to the road when the road is wet. Tape will not stick to a wet road so you will need to securely attach the timing loop by drilling into the pavement.
If the road is dry but rain is in the forecast, you can still use tape.
What’s in my Wet Weather Kit?
- Loop clamps
- 1-½” Screws
- Robertson Drill Bit
- ⅛” Drill Bits
- Ziplock Bags
We’ll send you 6 Loop Clamps and 6 screws with each 6 metre loop, and 8 Loop Clamps and 8 screws for each 12 metre loop you’ll use in your race.
Equipment Not Supplied
- Cordless Drill
Attaching a Timing Loop to a Wet Road
- Place the loop across the road in your desired timing point location
- Using the ⅛ drill bit, drill a pilot hole in the road where you want one of the far corners to be located. It works best if you start with the side opposite from the activator
- Some pavement has large stones that can make it difficult to find a location where it is possible to make a hole. You may need to try a few spots
- Never use force as the drill bits can break
- Remove the ⅛ bit and attach the Robertson bit to the drill.
- Place the loop in a clamp and using the Robertson drill and one of the provided screws, drill the clamp into the pilot hole in the road.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for the remaining corners.
With a 6m Timing Loop, we recommend using a clamp in each corner, and 1 clamp to secure the long sides of the loop.
With 12m Timing Loop, we recommend using 2 clamps on the long sides of the loop.
Waterproofing Timing Equipment
The activators are waterproof, but make sure to keep them away from standing water as they should not be submerged. Try to keep ports relatively dry before making connections.
Timing loops are waterproof, but the Y junction should be kept out of standing water.
The Phones are not waterproof and should be kept out of the rain or covered with a ziplock bag.