What is a Merchant Account
All credit card transactions are processed through a merchant account. This is an account with the bank that processes payments and moves the money from the credit card holder (the purchaser) to the seller (you, the club.) Your organization must enter into an agreement with the merchant account provider to process funds on your behalf, and merchant account providers perform due diligence on clubs to ensure they can honour the sales they are making. Zone4 offers three levels of processing depending on your club’s size and needs. The following table compares the main differences in the 3 levels.
The first option, using Zone4’s merchant accounts to process transactions, is the easiest to set up, but requires you to contact us to set up.
You can save some money by setting up a Stripe account. You can do this without contacting us, but Stripe requires you to set up an account in addition to your Zone4 account and provide a picture of government ID as verification.
You can save even more money with a Helcim account, but the administrative overhead of handling your own merchant account is very large. We only recommend this to clubs with full time staff that are processing a large transaction volume.
|Credit Card Fee||3%||2.9%||2.13%|
|Per Transaction Fee||$1||$0.30||$0.25|
|Per Person Fee (for Races – covers timing application usage)||$1.50||$1.50||$1.50|
|Per Person Fee (other registrations)||$1||$1||$1|
|Onboarding Timeline||Instant *¹||Instant *²||1 Week|
|Merchant Account Holder||Zone4||Your club||Your club|
|Name Appearing on Credit Card Statement||Zone4||Your club name||Your club name|
|Custom Branding at the top of Registration Pages||No||No||300x928px image|
|Credit Card Refunds||No||Yes||Yes|
|Add charges to credit cards||No||Yes||Yes|
|Option to allow club to pay processing fee||Yes||No||Yes|
|Charge registrants a custom processing fee||No||No||Yes|
|Payout Schedule||Weekly *³||Weekly||Daily|
|Installment and Deposit Payments||No||No||Yes|
|Annual transaction volume recommended||<$100,000||<$100,000||>$30,000|
- * Zone4 interviews all new clubs upon club application to determine the best processing option and suitability for the Zone4 processing option.
- * Stripe onboards applicants instantly but may require additional verification after their automated system has evaluated your application details.
- * Zone4 remits funds every Thursday for all the transactions collected the previous week Sunday to Saturday. Clubs can set a minimum remittance threshold if they don’t want to receive deposits for small amounts (to reduce bank fees.)
- * Stripe is available in 25 countries and growing. See here for current complete list: https://stripe.com/global
- If you don’t have a Zone4 club account yet, start by signing up here: https://zone4.ca/signup
- For information on signing up with Stripe see here: http://help.zone4.ca/kb/setting-up-a-stripe-account/
- For information on signing up with Helcim see here: http://help.zone4.ca/kb/signing-up-with-helcim