Step by step instructions on how to create a race and navigating Zone4 Timing.
How to Create a Race
Login to your Zone4 “Club Administrator Account” (accessed via the Zone4.ca homepage) and select the “Time a New Race” option as shown below. If you have permissions on more then one Club Account you will then be prompted to select which organisation the race should be created under.
After selecting “Time a New Race” you will then be brought to the “Create a new Race” window. Here select the sport of your race from the list. This will change some of the default settings in Zone4 Timing as and ensure that your race displays the correct icon on Zone4.ca
Next fill the window with the relevant information for your race.
- Race Name: This will the the name displayed on Zone4.ca when users are searching for the results from your race.
- Organization: This is the name of the group running the event. The group’s administrators with permission to access races will be able to access your race.
- Location: Where your event is taking place. This will also be displayed publicly on Zone4.ca.
- Race Date: This is the date your race will be taking place.
- Race Format: This is only an option for some sports such as Cross-Country Skiing and Cycling. Be sure to select the correct format as this will affect some of the default settings in Zone4 Timing.
Once your basic race settings have been filled in you will need to import racers using one of the following methods:
- Get racers from Zone4 registration: This is the most common method of importing racers. Once selected a drop down menu will appear with all the registration forms associated with your organization. Select the relevant form.
- Get racers from another race: This is used when two races are using the same registration data (such as a race weekend). It can be useful for the second day of racing because unlike “Get racers from registration form” it will import any changes that have been made to racer data in Zone4 Timing. Once selected use the drop down menu to select the relevant race to upload racers from.
- Upload Racers from CSV File: This method is used when the registration has been done outside of Zone4 Systems. This method can be finicky and time consuming. As such, it is not generally recommended. For more info click here.
- Do not Import any Racers: This is used for small races or for when there is no pre-race registration. It can also be used for those learning how to use Zone4 Timing and who want to run a test race. If this is selected all racer will have to be added manually. This will be time consuming.
Finally review the information you have entered in the “Create a new Race” window and click the Create Race button. This will upload all racers. It may take a few minutes if your event has many participants.
Once your race has been created you can edit many of these settings in the “Settings” page in Zone4 Timing.
Navigating Zone4 Timing
Once you have created the race you will be brought to the “Overview” window of Zone4 Timing. This serves as your landing page in the Zone4 Timing System and gives you a good overview of all the various sections of Zone4 Timing. More information will be displayed in this window as you continue configuring your race settings.
The navigation of Zone4 Timing closely mirrors that of your club account and that of Zone4 Registration. Various navigation tools are numbered and pictured below.
- Quick links to all the main pages within Zone4 Timing near the top of the page. This will be your primary navigation tool in Zone4 Timing.
- Navigation Breadcrumbs along the top of the window show you where you are and provide an easy way to back track.
- Back to Overview button. This is a good way to get back to the Overview page if you ever get lost.
Overview of Zone4 Timing Tabs
Here is a quick overview of the primary Tabs in Zone4 Timing as well as links to their relevant documentation.
- Settings: This is where you will access the general settings of your race. Here you can edit settings such as: Race Name, Race Date, Sport and Location.
- Racers: This tab is covered below and is where you can quickly find the “Edit Racer” window for any individual racer. This is also where you can manually add new racers.
- Start List: This is where you will create your Start List and create and edit Start Groups.
- Courses: This is where you will assign timing devices to various points on your race course (Start, Finish, Laps, On Course Timing Points) as well as create and edit your Course Groups.
- Results: This is where you will edit and create result sets and divide racers into various result groups. This is also where you will view your race results
- Timing: This will be used primarily during your race and is for tracking racers on course and resolving potential issues with individual racers.
- Overview: This is your Landing Page (homepage) within Zone4 Timing. It gives you general information and a good overview of all the settings of your event.
This tab is where you can edit general settings for your event. Many of these settings were selected when you created your race (Race Name, Sport, Date and location). However, there are important settings unique to this window that are covered below.
If you created your race before the registration closed you will need to refresh registrants in order to add racers who registered after you created your race. When you refresh registrants you will have two options, these are; “Refresh all registrants data” or “Get new registrants only”.
Generally it is recommended to “Get new registrants only” as this will not override any changes you may have made to racer data in Zone4 Timing. Click here for more information on Refreshing Registrants.
When you create a race it will automatically be given a race window between 6:00 and 18:00 on race day. Times recorded outside this window will not be assigned to racers. If your race will be taking place outside this window you will need to adjust it accordingly.
As a guide your race window should start before you start setting up your timing equipment on race morning. The race window should then end a safe amount of time after you expect to get the last finisher. You can also change the date your event is taking place on here.
An Event Page is a public homepage for your event where, in one location, you can post your events Registration Form, Public Result Sets , Start Lists, Public Reports (Confirmation Lists) as well as links to social media platforms and your event’s website.
An Event Page can be especially useful if your event is taking place over multiple days. Find out more about Event Pages here.
This tab is where you can quickly find and edit racer info or add new racers.
Important settings in this window are highlighted below.
- Racer Search-Bar: This is a fast and easy way of finding racers if you need to edit any of their registration data.
- Create a New Racer: This is where you can add a new racer who was not imported when your race was created. This often used for last minute registrations. Find out more about adding a new racer here.
- All Racers List: This a list of all the racers who are in your event. In this window, as well as having a search-bar, you will be able to sort racers using various criteria as shown below.
Clicking on an individual racer either using the Racer Search-Bar or from the All Racers List will open up the Edit Racer window. You can use this window to edit any of the data related to a racer. All of this will be covered in greater detail in the Timing a Race section of the user guide.
You will also notice that the Edit Racer window is divided into two tabs; Racer Info and Timing. Timing is where you can edit any of the individual times for a racer and will be further covered in the Timing a Race documentation.
Once you have a good understanding of how to navigate Zone4 Timing, as well as the Settings and Racers pages, you will want to move on to creating your Start List. Click here to jump to the Creating a Start List documentation.